The sun and heat can be very damaging to a car. During testing conducted at the State Farm Vehicle Research Facility, interior air temperatures have been recorded well in excess of 145° F. Interior surfaces exposed to direct sunlight had recorded temperatures in excess of 195°F. But it’s not just the dashboard and seats you need to guard from the sun’s dangerous rays. A car’s finish and engine are also at risk. So whether you live in a warm climate year-round, or just need protection during the summer months, it’s always best to be safe and prepared. Keeping your car’s interior and exterior is key to maintain it’s resale value. Always have your car washed by a reliable car wash service to protect your car’s exterior have a wax put on the exterior and a qualified service will offer interior cleaning as well to prevent any future sun damage to your investment.
Protecting the Exterior
- Get a Professional Wax – Wax your car on a regular basis. A layer of wax between the cars finish and the sun’s UV rays is a good way to protect the finish.
- Wash and Dry Often – Wash and dry the car often. Frequent washing can help remove the dirt and dust particles that cause small scratches in the car’s finish.
Protecting the Interior
- Avoid Direct Sunlight – Park in the shade, Use a sun shield in your front window to protect your dash, seats and steering wheel from cracking. If it is possible open your windows a crack to help lower the interior temperature
- Dashboard Problems – Wipe down your dash frequently with a microfiber cloth, dust and dirt cause tiny scratches . Add a gloss detailing product to protect and reduce glare on the dash. A professional detailing before the hottest parts of the year will prevent cracking and scratches on your dashboard.
- Seat Fading and Cracking – Install seat covers to protect the seats from sun exposure
Other Damage That Occurs Due to Sun Exposure
- Fading – Upholstery and carpets of the car fade from UV rays
- Paint Cracking – Extreme heat can cause cracking of the paint of the car
- Broken Belts and Hoses – Heat and sun exposure can cause belts and hoses to brake
- Safety System Problems – Some of your safety systems such as airbags can be damaged due to extreme heat
- Low Fluids Causes Problems – Watch your car fluid levels so your car will not overheat and cause your car to brake down
- Antifreeze Level Problems – Always check you antifreeze levels and make sure you are using the correct antifreeze for your car
- Lose Tire Pressure – Check your tire pressure, high temperature can affect the tire pressure and cause hazardous driving conditions
- Battery Problems – High temperatures and high accessory loads (use of the vehicles air conditioning) can cause your battery to wear out and fail quicker. Have the vehicle’s battery and complete charging system checked regularly by a professional mechanic to make sure it’s functioning properly.
A little Preventative car maintenance and simple upkeep can keep you on the road and out of your mechanic’s garage.
Bailey’s has many options to keep your car or truck in its best shape all year ’round. For even more value, many of our customers use our monthly packages.
Bailey’s Offers Many Types of Car Washes | Learn More
Contact us (859-534-5999) for more information!
Bailey’s Car Wash & Detailing
Bailey’s is a local and family owned car wash providing a range of washing and detailing options for our customers! Since 2002, we have been providing outstanding services to the Greater Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky area. Our experience, customer service, and overall value is what sets Bailey’s apart from our competition.
- Full Service Car Washes
- Quick Exterior Car Washes
- Full Detailing
- 30 Minute Express Detailing
- Monthly Car Wash Plans
- Fleet Services
- Preventative and Restorative Automotive Services